1. Text: | Print|

      Chinese mining firms will not halt operations in Zambia

      2015-01-03 10:35 Xinhua Web Editor: Si Huan
      1

      Chinese Ambassador to Zambia Yang Youming said on Friday that Chinese firms operating in Zambia will not halt their operations following the change of the country's mining tax plan.

      The Zambian parliament recently approved the 2015 national budget, which among other things has introduced a new mining tax plan. The new tax law has since been assented to by the acting Zambian president.

      The new tax plan has seen the increase in mineral royalty taxes from six to eight percent for underground mines and to 20 percent for open pit mines, with some mining firms threatening to halt operations.

      But Yang said in an interview broadcast on state radio, the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation, that halting operations was not the best solution to tackle the problem but dialogue.

      The Chinese envoy said Chinese firms have started consulting the government over the new tax plan and hoped that an amicable solution will be found after the talks.

      He further reaffirmed Chinese companies' commitment to work closely with Zambian communities and to contribute to the country' s development due to long-lasting relations.

      Zambia's acting President Guy Scott said last week that the government has begun talks with the mining firms following the change of the mining tax plan.

      He further said the government will not be intimidated by some mining companies that were threatening to close their operations following the introduction of the new mine tax plan.

      Last year, Canadian-based mining giant, Barrick Gold Corporation, announced plans to initiate a process of suspending operations at its unit in Zambia following the government's decision to approve the budget which contains the controversial new tax plan.

      The Toronto-headquartered mining giant, which runs Lumwana Copper Mine in northwestern Zambia, said the introduction of the new mineral royalty has left it with no option but to initiate the process of suspending operations to reduce costs.

      The new Mines and Minerals Act of 2014 replaces the 2008 Mines and Minerals Act and has stirred a debate in Africa's second largest copper producer, with mining firms threatening to cut down on operations while the government has insisted that it will not bow down to the pressure from mining firms, saying the new law is a win-win situation for both parties.

      The Zambia Chambers of Mines, an umbrella body representing major foreign mining firms, said the imminent implementation of the 2015 budget measures will make a number of other operations economically unviable, potentially leading to further mine closures.

      The industry body said the southern African nation will lose in excess of 158,000 tons in copper production next year while over 12,000 workers will lose jobs in the sector due to the implementation of new mining tax plan.

      Comments (0)
      Most popular in 24h
        Archived Content
      Media partners:

      Copyright ©1999-2018 Chinanews.com. All rights reserved.
      Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

      主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲精品第一国产综合境外资源| 亚洲一区免费视频| 男女猛烈无遮掩视频免费软件| 亚洲人成精品久久久久| 视频一区二区三区免费观看| 在线观看免费无码视频| 亚洲国模精品一区| 特级毛片在线大全免费播放| 亚洲国产成人影院播放| 永久免费无码日韩视频| 国产av无码专区亚洲av果冻传媒| 亚洲伊人久久大香线蕉| 久久99精品免费一区二区| 国产精品亚洲美女久久久 | 亚洲乱码日产精品一二三| 精品国产无限资源免费观看| 亚洲香蕉久久一区二区| 性感美女视频在线观看免费精品| 亚洲av成人片在线观看| 亚洲女同成人AⅤ人片在线观看| igao激情在线视频免费| 亚洲av无码专区在线播放| 精品国产sm捆绑最大网免费站| 亚洲午夜一区二区三区| 四虎永久在线精品视频免费观看| 羞羞视频在线观看免费| 亚洲最新永久在线观看| 久久久久久国产精品免费免费| 精品国产日韩亚洲一区在线| 国产亚洲精品影视在线产品| 在线观看的免费网站无遮挡| 亚洲精品无码久久久久| 69影院毛片免费观看视频在线| 亚洲一区二区三区高清视频| 免费一级毛片不卡不收费| 三级黄色免费观看| 国产亚洲精品AA片在线观看不加载| 97人妻精品全国免费视频 | 中文字幕亚洲综合小综合在线 | 中文字幕av无码无卡免费| 特黄特色大片免费|